- RSS Channel Showcase 4557360
- RSS Channel Showcase 5644757
- RSS Channel Showcase 7835751
- RSS Channel Showcase 8667996
Articles on this Page
- 07/03/12--16:05: _Our Lady Peace Disc...
- 06/19/14--08:29: _What Happens When Y...
- 07/28/14--08:46: _Elvis Presley’s Box...
- 10/24/14--10:42: _Karl Lagerfeld’s Pe...
- 11/28/14--08:26: _Rourke-y Balboa Fig...
- 11/29/14--10:58: _Mickey Rourke Didn’...
- 12/19/14--09:42: _Stanley Kubrick’s B...
- 01/23/15--19:18: _Miles Davis’ Boxing...
- 03/13/15--08:20: _When Callaghan Knoc...
- 05/04/15--10:16: _Bob Dylan’s Long Hi...
- 05/08/15--08:32: _Burger King’s Conne...
- 07/23/15--19:34: _Jake Gyllenhaal’s ‘...
- 07/16/16--12:22: _Remembering Boxing ...
- 12/04/16--11:14: _A Brief History Of ...
- 07/29/17--06:52: _Floyd Mayweather An...
- 11/12/17--14:55: _5 Lessons We Can Le...
- 07/03/12--16:05: Our Lady Peace Discuss The Fighting Arts And George Chuvalo
- 06/19/14--08:29: What Happens When You Take A Boxing Lesson During A Vegas Blowout
- 07/28/14--08:46: Elvis Presley’s Boxing Past
- 10/24/14--10:42: Karl Lagerfeld’s Peculiar Boxing Fashions
- 11/28/14--08:26: Rourke-y Balboa Fighting In Moscow Today
- 11/29/14--10:58: Mickey Rourke Didn’t Die In His Russian Boxing Match
- 12/19/14--09:42: Stanley Kubrick’s Boxing Connection
- 01/23/15--19:18: Miles Davis’ Boxing Connection
- 03/13/15--08:20: When Callaghan Knocked Out Hemingway, Proved He Was A Sore Loser
- 05/04/15--10:16: Bob Dylan’s Long History With Boxing
- 05/08/15--08:32: Burger King’s Connection To Boxing
- 07/23/15--19:34: Jake Gyllenhaal’s ‘Southpaw’ Workout
- 07/16/16--12:22: Remembering Boxing Writer Katherine Dunn
- 12/04/16--11:14: A Brief History Of Boxing In Art And Entertainment
- 07/29/17--06:52: Floyd Mayweather And Conor McGregor Set To Fight
- 11/12/17--14:55: 5 Lessons We Can Learn From Mayweather-McGregor
While our favourite tribute to the fighting arts remains Friendly Rich‘s “The Ballad Of George Chuvalo,” finding out Our Lady Peace were inspired at least in part by fightin’ for their new album Curve was worth talking about. So I … Continue reading
pokecheckdiariesOur Lady Peace
If you’ve ever wanted to know what it’s like to take a boxing lesson in the middle of a Las Vegas blowout, wonder no more. That’s because Sarah (unwisely?) decided to do just that during a recent vacation in sin … Continue reading
Elvis Presley’s enthusiasm for karate is pretty well-known, but the King also had a flirtation with another fighting art — boxing. Sarah tracked some of his pugilistic adventures for Fightland. To read the full story go here.
pokecheckdiariesElvis Presley's boxing past
Fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld has set his sights on the boxing ring with a series of fight-inspired Vuitton items including a heavy bag and boxing gloves. Considering Lagerfeld refuses to exercise in real life this appreciation is… peculiar. So Sarah … Continue reading
pokecheckdiariesKarl Lagerfeld boxing fashion
Sometimes actor/62-year-old man Mickey Rourke has a boxing match in Moscow today against a 29-year-old, 1-9 opponent named Elliot Seymour. We hope it doesn’t end like The Wrestler. Sarah wrote about it for Fightland. You can read the story here.
Mickey Rourke didn’t die in the boxing match he had in Russia on Friday night. Sarah broke down the bout for Fightland. You can read about all the action by clicking here.
Filmmaker Stanley Kubrick owes a lot to boxing. In fact, his first film Day Of The Fight was about a local boxer. Sarah took some time to explore Kubrick’s deep connection to the boxing world for Fightland. To read her … Continue reading
pokecheckdiariesStanley Kubrick filming Killer's Kiss
Imagine a world where Kanye West decided to stop everything he did and cut a tribute album to Jon Jones. It seems far-fetched, but its equivalency kinda happened in 1971 when jazz superstar Miles Davis recorded the album A Tribute … Continue reading
In the rarefied world of literary stars who like to physically fight each other, there’s one tale with more layers to it than most — the time Canadian author Morley Callaghan knocked out Ernest Hemingway in a boxing match. Hemingway … Continue reading
If it wasn’t obvious by songs about Hurricane Carter and shoutouts in his songs to Cassius Clay, Bob Dylan is a fan of the sweet science. Sarah wrote about Dylan’s boxing connections for Fightland. To read the story, go here.
One of the weirdest things to come out of the Mayweather-Pacquaio fight last week was the appearance of the super-creepy Burger King mascot “The Burger King.” It seemed really peculiar at the time, but it turns out the King of … Continue reading
Jake Gyllenhaal’s new boxing movie Southpaw has been subject to intense scrutiny from the fight community. One area they’re particularly intrigued by is Gyllenhaal’s workout regime. In true method actor form he committed to his role. Sarah wrote about the … Continue reading
Geek Love author and exceptional boxing writer Katherine Dunn passed away recently at age 70. Dunn not only busted up a lot of gender expectation by writing about boxing, she also took up the sport later in life in order … Continue reading
The average person’s intersection of art and boxing probably starts and ends with the Rocky movie franchise. The sweet science, however, has been inspiring intriguing art for a very long time. Sarah wrote about just how long in a piece … Continue reading
In what will likely be the most lopsided inter-disciplinary fight since mixed martial artist Randy Couture erased boxer James Toney in an MMA fight in 2010, martial arts loudmouth Conor McGregor is going to take on detestable human/very elite pugilist … Continue reading
pokecheckdiariesFloyd Mayweather versus Conor McGregor
The superfight of the supercentury — a boxing match between noted boxer Floyd Mayweather and noted martial arts and far less noted boxer, Conor McGregor — ended reasonably predictably. (Mayweather waited around for a little while, then decided to start … Continue reading
pokecheckdiariesFloyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor